Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Sunday, January 13, 2013

January 8/13

I made the application to Ryerson University on December 28th, and even though I knew the school was closed, I figured it wouldn't take long to get the confirmation/follow-up email that tells me how to submit my supporting documents (transcripts, writing samples, etc.).  I was wrong.  I didn't get that email until yesterday.  The application package is due January 13th.

The Ryerson application process is NOT user friendly.  They don't have a system of their own like some of the larger schools, instead choosing to be serviced by a second level service provider (in this case, the Ontario Universities' Application Centre), and that application had a few flaws, like not giving me an opportunity to skip English Proficiency test scores--I'm a native English speaker, I don't need to take TOEFL or any of those types of tests, but according to their administrative system, I have to provide this?

But Ryerson does some awesome things, like allowing me to submit electronic copies of my transcripts (if I'm accepted, I then have to submit the two traditional paper copies), and I send all my supporting documents electronically in a single .zip file.  This is the lucky break I needed, given the very close time frame.

My referees all got the reference form last week (before I got the confirmation email), so I don't have to worry about that, which meant today was all about finishing my statement of interest, gathering my electronic documents, and sending them off.

It's funny though. Every time I apply to schools, I get a belly full of butterflies as I submit my application; this time was no different.  I hit 'send' and got that familiar queer little pitch in my stomach.  It's the idea that total strangers who know nothing of me beyond these pages are now going to judge me.  There are no interviews like the ones you see in movies and TV shows--no opportunities to screw up, but make a winning, impassioned plea that sways a dean or committee.  It's just me as defined by a collection of papers.  And on paper, I'm a less than impressive candidate.  I've had several false starts at my undergrad, but once I got serious, I was a great student.  I'm a solid investment, if given a chance, and I've had several professors and employers who would tell you I wasn't the preferred candidate, but once they took me, I was a strong performer.

A cure for nerves...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment