Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Friday, January 18, 2013

January 18/13

It's so okay not to be young!

Somebody very important had a birfday today.  I can't say who.  And it was a "milestone."  But I can't say which one.

Okay, this will make writing this post difficult.

Time to switch to code.

So, there's this person named..."Eugene".  And Eugene turned "30" today.  After work, I met up with Eugene and we wandered for a bit before going for dinner down on Bank street.  Since Eugene wasn't in the mood to make decisions, it was left to me to decide what to do next.  We had options, like going to this once-a-month-party-danceclub thing, or going home, or doing something else.  I decided we would head into the Market for some quiet drinks--after all, Eugene wasn't much in the mood to be shouting from the rooftops that he's "30."

We hit the Highland Pub, because Highlander and Birfdays go together around here.  We sat, we talked, we laughed, we enjoyed some drinks...it was all quite pleasant.  Then this group of five young men walked in and took tables nearby.  Young.  They couldn't be older than 20 or 21.  Five of them, and not a looker in the bunch.  They were ALL awkward and gangly.  Furthermore their conversation was dull and uninspired.

I think at this point, Eugene had an epiphany.  He looked at the lads, listened to them, and perhaps thought back to being their age, and I think he was okay with being "30."  Even if only for a moment.

That moment when it's okay...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment