Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Sunday, January 6, 2013

January 6/13

In the wee small hours of the morning, the NHL and the NHLPA reached an agreement in principle; with that, professional hockey in North America is back.

I rolled over at about 8:30 this morning and reached for my phone.  When I got to the Twitter part of my routine, there it was...still so early that most of Canada was still asleep, and thus unaware that their hockey heroes would soon take to the ice, though the glamour and prestige of the league is arguably tarnished.  I looked over at Etienne, still asleep, and I debated waking him up to tell him, but I decided against it.  He's got a variety of sports reporting apps on his phone and the list of Twitter accounts he follows is by and large sports figures, so I decided it was best to let him find out from them when he woke up.

In the meantime, I had time to think about the return of hockey.  Honestly, aside from missing my Detroit Red Wings, I had grown quite indifferent to hockey's absence.  Perhaps it had to do with the fact that Etienne kept hockey alive in our house, watching a variety of junior leagues, plus the world junior hockey championships, PLUS the Spengler Cup, but there was little notice that the NHL wasn't there.  Indeed, for the third time in my life, the absence of the NHL did not end the world.

Welcome back NHL.

Indifference...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment