Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Sunday, January 13, 2013

January 10/13

Let's call this one "Naming and Shaming."

I have a serious bone to pick with the Northwest Territories.  Leading the nation in Impaired Driving?  Are you fucking serious?

You know, I've seen it before...people have a few drinks...not a lot, but a few, and then they think "oh I'm fine to make it home, I'll be alright."  They forget that they aren't the only ones out and about.  Fuck!  This isn't about I, this is about I+Everyone out there.  If I'm impaired and driving, and I hit a pedestrian, sure I'm in a car, so chances are I'll be alright, but will the pedestrian?  Oh, his or her or their chances are significantly lower.

It's one thing if you lived in a bubble and you would be the only person impacted by a collision (these aren't accidents, folks), but why take that fucking chance?  Why think it's okay to put your own poor decision making skills above the potential safety and welfare of everyone else who has to share the road with your impaired ass?

People in my life think I'm a real snot for refusing to get into a car with a driver who has been drinking or getting high, but I, and every kid at Sir John and St Pat's, would do well to remember that impaired driving took Andrew and Davey from our lives and from the lives of their families.  When I refuse even just one glass of wine because I'm driving, it's because I'm not the only one who has to get home safe and sound that day.

I won't apologize for my beliefs.  This topic makes me so angry because more people in my world than just Andrew and Davey have died from impaired driving, and the one common thread has been they were all from the NWT. 

You should be here...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment