Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Friday, January 25, 2013

January 25/13

Is it because I'm a girl?

I've gotten used to being the only girl at a lot of after-work outings with the boys of EPD (the division Etienne works in).  It's normal: I work upstairs from them, so it's easy for me to get included; several of the guys are single at any given time, so they don't call in girlfriends or spouses; and it's largely a shop of guys, with a network of guys.  I follow sports and contribute to the discussions about soccer and hockey frequently, so it's no big deal for anyone who fears that I'm there, "girling" up the joint.  My presence is a normal fact.

Tonight, the discussion turned into an argument about the nod for Ballon d'Or, or more specifically, Messi getting it again for 2012, over Cristiano Ronaldo, and to my surprise and dismay, I was pushed out of the conversation.  One by one, the boys at the table listed off their top five ranked players of all time, and they left me out entirely.  Hell, the ringleader of the argument, generally a nice guy, even took the points of a guy in the group who doesn't follow football at all or know much about the players, but not me.  Not cool guys.

For the record, my list is:
  1. Maradona
  2. Messi
  3. Pele
  4. Zidane
  5. Ronaldo (Brazilian Ronaldo, not that poncy little twit from Portugal)
Now, I know people will dispute my putting Brazilian Ronaldo in at #5, but he's had the record as the top World Cup goalscorer (15) for ages now, he’s been to three World Cup finals, won two, and he won the FIFA's World Footballer of the year in 1996, 1997 and 2002, one of only three men to ever do that (along with Zidane and Messi)  He had a certain magic with the ball and his teammates that is largely overshadowed by his disastrous showing at World Cup 2006.

Anyway.  The point is I was excluded, and I think it may be because I'm a girl.  So uncool.

My turn...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment