Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Monday, January 14, 2013

January 14/13

Probably the best part of my day today was a pleading lecture about a sensitive issue for my workplace right now...and damn that I can't get into specifics, but I can say this: I work at Human Resources Skills Development Canada, and no, I don't work in the area that just announced it lost the protected information (but not banking information) of more than 583,000 clients of the Canada Student Loan Program.  This, after another area (again, not mine) lost the protected information of clients of the Employment Insurance Program.  Yay.

And can I just say that I am a client of the student loan program, so I look forward to getting a letter in the mail telling me that my own department has done goofed with my information.  This is hardly the stuff that inspires confidence.  I wish I could say more, but I can't.

What I can say is that during this pleading lecture, I'll admit to some smugness, as I sat back knowing that my IT and info management training at a previous federal department (one notorious for many bad habits, though loss of information is not one of them) had instilled in me a solid work ethic on the handling of secure and sensitive information, and I have genuinely good habits about the matter, or as good as they can be given the resources I have available.

This whole SNAFU just really disappoints me; as a Canadian whose information was lost, I'm really choked.  This potentially means a lot of inconvenience in my life.  As a member of the department, I'm worried that it will reflect on me somehow.  It just plain sucks.

Accountability...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment