Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Thursday, January 24, 2013

January 24/13

It's been a very cold week by Ottawa standards.  Like 'windchills in the -30s' cold.  I hate it.  I moved south to get away from such awful weather.  I grew up in the wake of Arctic weather, believe me, I know cold weather.  But I digress, because this is not about the temperature outside.

This is about the temperature inside.

Why?  Because when I came home this evening, the apartment was colder than usual.  It's a building with central heating, but our radiators are pretty ineffective in the large apartment.  I went to the bedroom to change out of my work clothes, and it was freezing in there.  The bedroom is the coldest room in the apartment under normal circumstances (it helps in the summer heat and humidity), but this evening it seemed colder than normal.  I was curious about how well the radiator in the bedroom even worked, so I reached down and touched it...ice cold.

I could have been fooled by the fact that the bedroom is normally colder than the rest of the apartment, and I have considered this week calling the caretaker to have a look at the bedroom radiator, but just in case, I decided to check the other radiators.  All cold.  Dammit.  The boiler was clearly broken down.  It's the second coldest day this winter, and we had no heat.  Blurg.

It's not all bad news though.  When we first viewed the apartment, we laughed when we saw two things: 1) the tacky, classic 80's propane fireplace in the living room, and 2) the bidet in the bathroom.  Tonight, we didn't laugh about the fireplace.  It came in very handy in keeping the living room liveable while we waited for an emergency repair to the boiler.  We're luckier than others who have no heat on such cold days.  But I maintain that I still get to laugh at the bidet.  Who the hell has a bidet?  Who even uses them anymore?

The end of winter...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment