Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Monday, January 28, 2013

January 28/13

Poor old Norman Wells.

Norman Wells is a town that sits just south of the Arctic Circle, on the Mackenzie River.  I spent some time there as a toddler, and it appears that it was here that some of my more daring exploits were performed, be they the sight of a 2 year old me tearing out of the house and down the road naked as the day I was born, or at least one set of my mother's beloved aquarium fish falling prey to my early and intuitive campaign to fight against the fish scourge of this planet.

But I digress.

Norman Wells is a town of about 727 people that exists thanks to the oil and natural gas in the region.  So it is truly ironic that today, Norman Wells is experiencing pipeline troubles that leaves the town without gas for heating.  In the mid -40s Celsius, this is a really bad day for irony.  At last report, some of the line has been restored, but not until after a day of moving all the people to civic buildings in order to keep them from freezing in their homes and offices.

Stay warm, Norman Wells...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment