Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Sunday, September 30, 2012

September 30/12

I think we all have that one food or drink product that we miss, either because it no longer exists, or we've lost almost all access to it by living somewhere where it is not available.

Today, Etienne and I drove to two different grocery stores in search of a variety of products that his father asked for.  We got all of the products, except one, and we made a substitution in the hopes that it will satisfy.  Of all the things on the list, two types of cookie that are only available in Quebec, and two cereals were the priorities, but the one product we had to substitute is a type of baked beans that I'm not sure are even still made.  If they are they certainly aren't available in the Ottawa or Gatineau places we went to.

Anyway, for me, there are so many things that I miss, but the biggest one is the Better Batter ice cream flavour by Maggie Moo's.  We don't have Maggie Moo's in Canada, and the closest one in the US is several hours away.  At least when I was living in Vancouver, I could drive down to Burlington for a fix.  The Marble Slab Creamery in Canada has a cake batter-flavoured ice cream called Birthday Cake, and I do have access to that here in Ottawa, but it's a really weak substitute for the real thing.  The sad thing is that even if I had friends visiting Ottawa from a place where Maggie Moo's is available, I couldn't ask them to bring some because it's ice cream and it will melt.  That gives me a sad.

Better Batter ice cream...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment