Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

September 5/12

I am a proud auntie to three nephews and a niece.

They all give me reasons to be proud, but today's moment is about my baby girl.

Miss M is the oldest of the bunch.  Her father is 11 years older than me, so when she was born, I was still in high school.  There's a mere 15 year gap between Miss M and Me, so she and I have sort of grown up together.  It's hard to believe she's a woman of 18 now.  It seems like just yesterday, she was a determined little 7-month old, crawling around her grandfather's house, terrorizing my sister's cat.

Anyway, tonight, she tweeted me a question about a school application, and as the conversation progressed, it came out that she's upgrading some grade 12 courses to improve her opportunities for university next year.  At her age, I'd already made some hasty decisions that lead to traumatic consequences, so to hear her talk with such a level head and focus, I'm so impressed.

My mother and my sister have said on many occasions that she and I are a lot alike, and I've seen for myself many similarities, but where I stop is that I'm seeing her sort of follow my footsteps without making my mistakes.

I haven't seen Miss M since 2008, but we've maintained good contact via the interwebz and mobile technologies, so it goes without saying that I miss her like crazy.

Miss M...

...Wish you were here!

No comments:

Post a Comment