Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Friday, September 21, 2012

September 21/12

Etienne typically doesn't like going straight home after work.  It's boring and makes for a long evening.  So tonight, to help him unwind after his day at work, and kill time, I steered us toward the Chapters.  Once inside, I wandered for a bit until I found myself in the Culture and Community section.  An oft-neglected section, I was just browsing because I love the sociological gems I can pick up here--some are very notable and prominent (eg. Barbara Ehrenreich's "Nickeled and Dimed"), other less so (eg. Robert Smith?'s* BRAAAIIINNNSSS: From Academics to Zombies)--but it's not Etienne's thing, so he headed off on his own.

I don't know what brought it to mind exactly, but I suddenly decided that I wanted to find 'The Tao of Pooh' by Benjamin Hoff.  Despite my love of Winnie the Pooh, surprisingly, I've read snippets, but never the whole thing.  So, I headed to the philosophy and religion sections (conveniently located right besides each other) and looked for it, but I didn't find it.  "Oh well," I thought, "Another time."

My browsing continued in another favourite section (Poetry) until Etienne came to find me to tell me he made his purchases and was ready to go.  He hinted that he bought me a couple of presents, and I was curious because I knew there was at least one (turned out to be "Introducing Rousseau: A Graphic Guide--as a primer for our trip to Geneva) because he was hiding it from me before we went our separate ways, but a second?

He reached into his bag, and pulled out..."The Tao of Pooh."  He found it in the "Manly Men" section of the store, and bought it for me.  It was a coincidence, but I had to laugh about his apparent mind-reading abilities.

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment