Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

September 18/12

I'm not sure what's happening to me these days, but insidious, dark, evil thoughts of improved well-being are starting to creep into my life.

Today, I spent my lunch hour searching for alternatives to the chemical-filled, animal-tested skin and hair products I use (By the way, does anyone use Green Tea as a facial toner?  Does it work?).  Did I mention my lunch was a meal-sized portion of arugala and spinach salad with sun-dried tomato dressing and half a boneless, skinless chicken breast?  And my snacks so far have been cheese, apples, and grapes?

Yesterday, without consultation with Etienne, I switched our toothpaste brand to Colgate, and furthermore announced I was switching our dishsoap to Palmolive because Colgate-Palmolive has undergone a massive turnaround to improve its ethical record by striving to end, reduce, and replace animal-testing its products, by instituting HR changes to become an LGBT- and family-friendly group of companies, and by working to receive LEED certification for its manufacturing plants. 

The day before that, I looked up natural alternatives to household cleaning products in order to reduce the chemical footprint, which is not only better for the environment, but also better for my increasingly-sensitive respiratory system.  Obviously I can't give up all chemical products, but if I can reduce them by, let's say, a quarter, I'd feel better.

I've jogged and done pilates nearly everyday for three weeks now.  As soon as the weather stops cooperating, I'm going to start going to the gym.  I'm cooking and preparing lunches to take to work.  I'm pestering poor Etienne to within an inch of his sanity about recycling. 

It's like I'm trying to become a healthier, more well-balanced person or something.  Like...fuck, what happened to the reliable, old me who just didn't care?

I'll admit that I've had my bad days too.  Yesterday I fell completely off the wagon.  After waking up completely disoriented, my day went downhill.  I accomplished little of value at work, my Coach sunglasses "mysteriously" disappeared at a store at the Rideau Centre, I must have tried on a dozen dresses because I'm not fitting into the one I wanted to wear for a wedding in October, and I was pissed-off enough to skip the healthy carrots for a bag of Old Dutch Cheese-flavoured Nacho chips.  All I needed was to get drunk off my ass and a big slopping supper laden with fat, salt and cholesteral, and my fall off the wagon/bad day would have been complete.

I wonder...if I wasn't so fucking poor all the time thanks to my slavish debt-servicing, would I be striving to make these changes in my life?  It's hard to say without the ability to peek into alternate universes...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment