Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Thursday, September 13, 2012

September 13/12

I was on a mission today.

I quickly found the songs I would use to make custom ringtones for various people and my default ringtone, but I needed one for my parents' home number.  It was really important, because that number is at the heart of home.  I miss Vancouver a lot, and my parents being there motivates me to get back as soon as I can.  So I had some pretty key criteria for choosing a song:

A) it had to evoke home;
B) it had to be awesome, and if possible, classic; and
C) it couldn't be overly sappy.

I did consider a riff from "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, but that's really more a song for that special someone in your life, not for the parents you do love, but not in that way.  A couple of Leonard Cohen songs were briefly fiddled with, but they weren't meeting all the criteria.  "Home for a Rest" by Spirit of the West got serious consideration, but it drudges up some slightly unpleasant memories of the time my parents wrongly staged a telephone/email intervention because I was facebooking about drinking while at pub trivia nights and Friday nights, and they felt I was sliding down toward alcoholism. 

I was running out of options, and had decided to put the project on hold until later tonight.  As I was leaving work, I put the iPhone on shuffle, and then it happened...

...the opening guitar riffs of "Paradise City" by Guns 'n' Roses.  Ho.ly.Fuck.Yes.

Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green, and the girls are pretty;
Take (Oh won't you please take) me home, yeah!

It's awesome, it's classic, it's not sappy, and it totally makes me think of home!

Home...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment