Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Sunday, September 2, 2012

September 2/12

Music.  Gawd, what it does to me and for me!  I swear, no force on earth can influence my mood with more ease and finesse. 

For instance, in the summer of 2009, I had to come to Ottawa for a co-op term, and I met Etienne through other students here doing co-op terms.  By chance, a friend and I ran into Etienne a week after meeting him, and we adjourned to his place for an evening of drinking and music.  That evening, he played a compilation album called Pink Floyd Redux: A New Music Experience for us.  It's an album of Pink Floyd covers done by various Canadian female artists, and some of those covers were sublime.  It goes without saying that this blog shares a name with a massively awesome Pink Floyd hit song called 'Wish You Were Here' and I would be remiss if I didn't at least acknowledge that coincidence, but while the original song is brilliant, this moment to share is actually about a little known cover by Pascale Picard, the lead singer of the Pascale Picard Band out of Quebec City.  The Pink Floyd original is cherished because those words are attached to a specific meaning, but young Pascale Picard's interpretation is amazing.  It's simple and pure, and it doesn't suffer under any diva-like tendencies by trying to force the lyrics to be about her amazing talent.


how I wish--
how I wish you were here
we're just two lost souls 
swimming in a fish bowl 
year after year 
running over the same old ground 
what have we found? 
The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

After the alienation of the first two verses, in which the questioner tries to understand if a person with whom he or she has a long, close relationship has shed or sacrificed personal values for some reason, it's clear that the questioner still seeks to to make sense of what is going on now, or establish some sense of continuity, by looking back on the safety of a shared experience.  As if to say, 'Oh, you want changes?  Fine, but remember who you were?  Because I do.'

See?  There I go, slipping into the world music creates for me.  I wonder if it's possible to share that world.  Not all the time, but sometimes.  Because it's such a powerful, meaningful place, and I wish everyone could just feel it once, the way I do.

Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment