Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Monday, November 25, 2013

November 25/13

Update: R. replied  :)

I had sent the email in a way that just implied I hoped all was well; I know she's a busy person, and I can't take it personally if there are other priorities in the lives of people I care about.  However, I took it as a good sign when the first line of her email was something to the effect of "OMG IT'S FANCY POITRAS!"

We've sent a couple more emails back and forth, trading quick updates, and there's talk of coffee when she is in town next time (she has family in the area).  I had to laugh...of course it would be a coffee date.  There isn't a lot for teenagers to do in Yk unless they are in sports, clubs or have jobs.  Back in the day, those who weren't big joiners would head straight for the local coffee shop or restaurant du jour and spend hours talking and joking over endless cigarettes and bottomless coffee.  As long as someone ordered some kind of food, the booth could be ours for hours.  R. was a central figure in the coffee movement, and I'm happy to hear that she still as addicted.

In the summer before I went off to college and she went off to Europe, we actually started going out for coffee in the evenings after work, quite frequently just the two of us.  I enjoyed that time spent together, but by the end of the summer, I was getting caffeine sick, and unlike most people who pick up the coffee habit in university, I quit the stuff altogether and went off coffee for almost 15 years, not picking it up again until Easter Sunday 2010 (don't ask how I know the precise date).

I wonder if she's been guzzling oceans of coffee in the intervening years, or if she similarly went off coffee at some point.

Bonding over coffee...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment