Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Thursday, November 21, 2013

November 21/13

I hate surprise tests.

This afternoon, literally seconds after I told my friend R. that I wasn't going to be doing testing for my levels after this term in French because the situation with the teacher switch really messed up the confidence I was slowly building up, I arrived to class to find today (indeed, this week) was the day we'd be put through the mock oral test.  Life sucks!

The reason I started to panic is because I'd missed last week because I was sick, and I hadn't studied up on what I missed because the teacher had failed to get back to me to tell me what was covered.

I can say at least that I was definitely taking the right level of class, at least in relation to my oral competency.  When I was tested to determine what level of class to put me in, they hesitated between putting me in Advanced A-level (Not a beginner, but not intermediate) and beginner's B-Level (Intermediate) before deciding on the A-level course.  The interlocutor made it clear that she felt that if I thought A-level was not advanced enough, I should switch into the B-level class in the first week.  Yeah, that didn't happen.

Don't get me wrong, I think I've been relearning rapidly, but the fact is, I haven't had a French class since high school... like, 16 or 17 years ago.  I'm not going into a room with people who largely have been taking French for some time now, or are there to refresh their skills ahead of mandatory periodic testing.

Besides, the snap mock test proved I have a long way to go, in terms of catching up in French and in terms of managing my stupid anxiety. 

More confidence...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment