Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Saturday, November 23, 2013

November 23/13

In recent months, I've been a little preoccupied with loss of contact.  Until we started planning our trip to Yk, K. and I hadn't actually spoken for some months.  Until his birfday last week, I hadn't spoken to D. and I hadn't spoken in two years.  And as for my other brother, I don't think I've spoken to him since 2005.  Rod's mother called me last month for Thanksgiving, and I hadn't spoken to her since last xmas. 

Are you seeing a theme here?

I've lost touch with great people in my life.

Well, in last night's drink-induced stroll down memory lane, I was overwhelmed with the feeling of wanting to reach out to an old friend from high school.  R. is one of the few who isn't on facebook, and I've had news of her over the years from other friends (Hello, Speedy!), but we lost touch about 15 years ago.  After high school, I went off to school and totally drove my life off a cliff, while R. went to spend a year abroad.  We still kept in touch despite the distance, but in the mean time, I had started dating A. who was older and didn't really mix well with my friends.  When R. came back, we spent very little time together because of A.  R. and I caught up again when I found Speedy a couple of years later, but despite all of us living in Edmonton, we just didn't spend time together.  R. ended up marrying a local professional athlete, eventually moving away from Edmonton, and I went about my ridiculous Post-Secondary Odyssey that eventually brought me here to Ottawa.  These things happen, right?

Well, this afternoon, I decided, 'what the hell, I'll google for her.'  I didn't know if she still went by her maiden name or married name, so I started with the maiden name, and BINGO!  Found her!  There was some back and forth with myself about the propriety of emailing her, just out of the blue, but once more, figured, 'what the hell, just do it!'  At least I can say I'm making an effort.

So, if I've fallen out of touch with you, and you are googleable...be warned.  I might get imbibing and drop in on you too.  But then, if you are reading this, shame on you for not contacting me!  Chances are either I'd be really excited to hear from you, or far more rarely, I've been wondering what I would say to you, and this could be a real gong show worth witnessing.

Stay in touch...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment