Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Monday, November 18, 2013

November 18/13

Oh my kee-rist, there was just too much going on today, and I was really spoiled for choice in stuff to share with you, and this created a bit of a problem for me.  How do you pick just one thing to share?  Well, I couldn't, so I decided to short hand the runners-up, and long hand that one thing to share.

In no particular order of significance:

Toronto City Council votes to strip Rob Ford's budget - I watched the live stream, including the moment when raging bull Robbie barreled down on and took out councilwoman Pam McConnell.  My thoughts: this man is seriously deranged.  Even if your brother is in a shouting match with someone, you don't go ripping in intent on letting fly the fists of fury, and you don't do it in City Hall Council Chambers, and you especially don't do it while taking out older ladies.  If you seriously think Rob Ford should stay where he is and shouldn't take a leave of absence to deal with his obvious issues (and there are many), can you please explain to me why?  Without parroting his reasoning or the speaking points of embarrassed conservatives?  Just in your gut...what is it?

Wal-mart holds a canned food drive--for its own workers - A Wal-mart in Ohio put out a bin in the employee lounge, asking employees to donate canned food to help their less fortunate co-workers have a full Thanksgiving meal.  My thoughts: this is just gross.  I don't think I need to get into this any further, other than to say to Wal-mart, 'hey, how about you just simply pay them a LIVING WAGE instead, jerks?'

An Alabama school is in trouble for a historically and racially insensitive banner at a football game - The cheerleaders demonstrated a saddening lack of empathy or understanding when, as a taunt to the competitor, the Indians (don't need to get started on this again--it's also just dumb), they created a rip-through banner that said "Hey Indians, get ready to leave in a trail of tears. Round 2."  My thoughts: No.  Just, No.  I get it, I was an ignorant, apathetic, self-centred teen once and I guarantee that I said and did hurtful things, but I've had to take my lumps and learn about empathy, often the hard way.  To turn a shameful, harmful, dark chapter of American history into a "cheeky taunt" shows that their collective sense of empathy is as yet underdeveloped.  Just, No, girls.  No.

Lifelong Adventurer and fellow Blogger Gail at Large tweeted today about how creepy she finds the term "Thought Leader" - She found it in a Forbes article about 46 overused, tired business jargon terms that need to go away, and I won't lie, in general, Government is painfully slow at adopting trends, and the age of these buzzwords has arrived, certainly in my department.  My thoughts: I'm guilty of a few on the list myself, but otherwise, if you use any of most of them in any sincere fashion, I roll my eyes at you and automatically deduct IQ points.  Most of the time, these buzzwords and phrases are meaningless, and show that you either have sipped the kool-aid (tiptoeing on use of one of the phrases on the list) of Corporate, or you lack creativity in expressing yourself.  I seriously never want to hear anyone tell me a document needs to be more "blue-sky thinking" ever again.

I could elaborate on my thoughts or feelings about any of these worthy items noted, but instead, today, I chose to share with you a moment of mirth and merriness.  I know, don't die from the shock, please!

Today, a cat in Bonnyville stole the show with his intense desire to be on camera...literally.  Please click through the CBC link, and enjoy not only the photo gallery (includes 12 pictures), but also the video too.

To the lighter moments in life...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment