Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Thursday, April 11, 2013

April 11/13

There's a lot I could talk about today (e.g. the Temporary Foreign Workers snafu, the legalization of Gay Marriage in Uruguay, multiple tragic teen gang rape and bullying stories, etc.), but honestly, today's moment belongs to an apartment downstairs.

Another sick day, another day of trying to rest in bed.  Etienne was home sick today too, but he was sleeping in the office (when I'm sick, I'm awful to sleep beside).  After 9 am, a smoke detector went off, and at first I gave it no notice because smoke alarms are a frequent occurrence for Sir Burns-A-Lot across the hall.  But then I noticed it wasn't going away, and I started to smell something burning.  I got up and confirmed with Etienne that he smelled it too, and I knew I had to check it out.

I ventured out into the stairwell (pajamas and all) to investigate, and as I walked down, I pinpointed the source, and it was clear there was smoke.  I called the property manager, who raced over from another property in the area, but not before the couple from that apartment came back from their walk.  I alerted them, and she raced into the apartment, yelling at him that he had left the oatmeal on the stove, while he stood there, frozen.  The property manager came (with colleagues), and everyone set about opening windows, removing the smoke alarms.  All the while, smoke poured out into the hallway, setting off the general smoke detectors, and permeating throughout the building.  Our place upstairs wasn't immune.  Great...gunked-up lungs AND smoke...fun times today.

It was fortunate that we were home today, and could raise the alarm--who knows what could have happened.  Lesson of the day: Remember your actions!

Only you can prevent stove top fires...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment