Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Thursday, March 28, 2013

March 28/13

This evening, Etienne and I took part in what's become an annual tradition: the Cannes International Advertising Festival.  The 2012 edition was a bit of a mixed bag, but there were, in my opinion four really standout winners, and I've rounded them up for you here.

First, we have one of the ads from a campaign for BGH air conditioners from Argentina.  Revel in the glory of Dads in Briefs:



Next up, we have the best advertisement for New Zealand ever. Celebrate them as the most creative people on earth:



Third, we have the best advertisement I've ever seen for the Hockey Hall of Fame. Learn more about Bobby Bishop:



The final standout ad isn't like the others though. While the festival certainly pulls together some of the greatest laughs of the year, it also picks up some of the most devastating ads, typically aimed at social themes and causes. This one is strange, because it's framed as a socially-themed piece, but it's really an ad for a business. None the less, I was literally sobbing (as quietly as I could) at this one (if you don't see the English subtitles, click on the little cc at the bottom of the frame):



Fairly early into the screening, the New Zealand ad played, and I was laughing with such delight, my hands accidentally clapped once. I caught myself before it happened again, but it apparently opened the floodgates, and a couple of others in the crowd picked it up; before I knew it, the crowd erupted into applause and whistling, and for the rest of the screening, the crowd felt absolutely free to clap, holler, and whistle in approval for those ads that tickled our funny bones. It was kind of a liberating moment for me.

Less commercials, more creative ads...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment