Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Sunday, March 24, 2013

March 24/13

It's Palm Sunday.  If you're a christian, you know what this is about; Jesus hitched a ride into Jerusalem on an ass, determined to pull of his final act, and was greeted by followers joyously brandishing palm fronds.

I grew up with this story, as my dad's parents were Catholic and insisted that I be as well (I went the first 7 years of my life without any religious affiliation), and I attended Catholic schools, but it still surprised me anyway when I was driving home from running errands this morning and passed a bevy of parishioners brandishing stalks of palms as they left the large Catholic church on the corner of my block.  Dude...wasn't that supposed to be before Lent?  No, as it turns out, it's the Sunday before Easter, which leads to Ash Wednesday, and so on. 

It's a good thing I finally made my piece with being an atheist (hey, I tried!) and left the church, because as it turns out, I would have made a really sucky Catholic.  I even forgot the name of Palm Sunday as I told Etienne about it.  I guess the teachings of my youth didn't stick very well.

Anyway, if it's your thing, I hope you had a good Palm Sunday.  If it's not, I hope you had a good Sunday.

It's all good...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment