Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Saturday, March 23, 2013

March 23/13

Earth hour has come to mean "Games Night" in our house, and tonight, it was a bit of a one-sided grudge match (on my part).

Last year, we drank wine and played Trivial Pursuit by candlelight while music on a portable, battery-operated ipod dock played, and the cats pestered us, wanting to get at the candles.

This year, things were different; this year, it was still candlelight, but the music was replaced with the Habs-Sabres game on my laptop top (battery-run), the wine wasn't flowing, and the game?  Scrabble.

Back when we were just starting out in our new apartment, Etienne was a little reluctant to start playing Scrabble with me, due largely to the language issue.  He's fully bilingual, but some words (and their spelling) aren't a part of his regular English vocabulary, so it limited what he could play.  But over time, his vocabulary grew, and he learned to play defensively, thus cutting off my options for points.

As of late, he's been winning more games than I have (I blame the letters I'm pulling...what high-scoring word can I make with E-E-E-I-I-U-O??), and tonight, I was determined to win--oh, it was ON!

Earth Hour starts at 8:30 pm, and lasts (as the name implies) an hour.  At 10:30, exhausted, with two tiles left to play, in need of 16 points just to tie, and very few options to catch up to his monster 20 point pick-up from his last play, I found it.  Playing on spots where I could pick up 14 points from multiple words, I picked up two points from his last two unplayed tiles, thus wrestling victory out of his grasp, by two points.

Better luck with pulling tiles...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment