Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Sunday, October 28, 2012

October 26/12

What Southerners don't know about living in the North...

...is a lot.

I can't get into details, but today I heard a story about seeing comments on something at work that asked if there were alternatives to flying for getting around Nunavut.

Yes, really.

If you're a Northerner, right about now, you are rolling your eyes at the ignorance of Southerners.  If you're a Southerner, I'm sorry, but that's a seriously stupid question.  The North, especially the high arctic, is not like the south.  We don't have many roads between communities, and hell, sometimes we have to rely on winter roads (over lakes or rivers) to get in and out by ground transportation.  When I heard about the comment, I wanted to email the individual, instruct that person to do to Google Maps, try to get driving directions for, say, Iqaluit to Arctic Bay.  Just from the south end of Baffin Island to the north end of Baffin Island (never mind going between the islands or to the mainland).  If you do it, this is what you get:


Okay? 

I just want to put up banners at the airports that service northern destinations: "Leave South at the Door!"  You can't expect that the way things are down south will be the way they are up north. 

Differing realities...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment