Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

October 2/12

So, if you follow Canadian politics at all, you'll have heard the big news about Canada's worst kept political secret.  Justin Trudeau has announced his candidacy for the leadership of the Liberal Party of Canada.

For very sensitive political reasons, the Trudeaus in general are on a restricted-topic list in our household, but restrictions on talking about Justin are more relaxed, partly because I think Etienne and I agree on some common points about the guy.

Justin's a nice guy.  He's got a big heart, and is quite idealistic, and those are excellent qualities for an MP who is truly interested in the needs and well-being of his fellow Canadians.  And his bout in the boxing ring against Patrick Brazeau (I'll spare you the details about what I think of him) this spring has certainly proven he's not exactly wallflower.

But...I have my doubts that this is the time for him to go for the leadership.  He's still new to the job (5 years in), and unfortunately, there is a view that persists that he is a dilettante, aware of the value of his father's name and legacy.  Also, his political opponents, the (odious) Right Honourable Prime Minister Stephen Harper, and Her Majesty's Loyal Leader of the Opposition, Thomas Mulcair, are well-seasoned political leaders, and it will be quite easy to see how they could toy with Justin.  I also can't picture Justin effectively hitting back.  Does he have the stones to pull an unapologetic "Just Watch Me" attitude if he sees fit?

Justin has openly acknowledged that he doesn't have his father's intellectual prowess (he admits that his brother, Sacha, inherited that trait from their father); he's smart, but he's not yet practiced enough to have developed his father's political IQ.  Were this leadership race another few years down the road, I'd be less hesitant about Justin's run, but right now, I just don't see that he could take on both Harper and Mulcair.  My advice to Justin would be to surround himself with the sharpest minds and most experienced political sharks who can really prep him for such a task.

All the same, I wish Justin luck, and I will be quite interested to see how the leadership race unfolds now that there's a Trudeau on the ballot.

Leadership...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment