Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

October 19/12

After a full day of "retreating" with my new team at work, I needed a drink.  You know those days when you are tense because you expect a day of, well, tension?  Yeah, I had that.  A whole day of feeling uncomfortable and unwelcome.  So of course, when I got out, I felt like I needed to...what's the word?  Oh, yeah.  LIVE.

We got home early, but neither of us was in the mood to just sit at home.  For once, like the good old days, it was Friday, and we needed to get out!  So Etienne declared it a pubwalk night: we'd hit the pubs up and down Elgin and have a drink!

We started at the Fox and Feather, enjoying our drinks and some policy talk (do we policy wonks know how to unwind after a day of policying or what!), but it wasn't long before the alcohol started screwing with my blood sugar levels, and I knew I needed to eat soon.  We have only a few known places we can go that works for both Etienne's vegetarian diet and his no-gluten diet, so it worked out well that the next pub on the list was the Lieutenant's Pump, which serves gluten-free beer and has a somewhat more Celiac-friendly menu than most places on Elgin.  More drinks, some food, and more conversation, though after our second drink in, it was less wonkish and more general...this really was feeling like the old days of my first summer in Ottawa, before Etienne and I were together, when we'd find a pub on a Friday, and set about with the very serious task of unwinding.

On to bar three: the Sir John A.  We were surprised this time though, as they've recently started carrying a gluten-free beer (hurray!  More options!), which turned out to be okay.

The only downside to all of this is that we started early, so we were home by 10, and after the tension of the day, I'm beat.  So I take my leave of you, with this moment:

The Old Days...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment