Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Sunday, December 1, 2013

December 1/13

Well, the morning started off fantastic.  Then it fucking awkward quickly, and then we waited the rest of the day to go to the hockey game.

I don't want to get into the awkward part, but be assured, all is well here.  No, instead, I want to get into my hockey game!

I have a friend at work who decided to buy Senators' season tickets this year (although I don't understand why...so far as I can tell, she's not particularly a fan), and she has sent out the message earlier this year if anyone would be interested in buying tickets.  Well, Oh.  Hell.  Yes.  This is the first season that Detroit is back in the Eastern Conference, so OF COURSE I would buy those tickets!  I was going to get Etienne tickets to the Montreal games, but he didn't want them because last time he went, he was up in the 300s and the Sens' fans there were apparently total dicks.

Anyway, I did the deal on Detroit...and shortly after, Detroit did the deal on Alfredsson, which dramatically bumped up the potential for fans being dicks to me because I'm a Red Wings fan.  I'll admit, it worried me a lot.  All this afternoon, I was worried about it.  But given that the Sens had beaten Detroit twice this season, I realized that it would probably be a loss for me anyway, and just decided to go and have fun.

We got on the bus downtown, and as is now customary, we spotted a car accident in the ditch beside the highway.  I've been to what is now the Canadian Tire Centre in Kanata precisely four times now, and all for times, we passed a car accident on the highway or on the side.  Well, might as well keep up the tradition.  This one just looked like a couple of cars slid into each other, likely just lost control while going too fast for the road conditions, no significant damage, so that's why I can speak so breezily about it.

My spirits were further bolstered by how many Red Wings fans I saw.  Surely, we were outnumbered to a ridiculous degree, but we were strong in numbers, our little cadre!

Of course, it's Detroit's first time back since the Alfredsson signing, and Etienne and I conjectured a few days ago how it would play out.  He anticipated booing, and I anticipated a lavish show of respect for their longtime hero, even if it was grudgingly.  We split the difference.

When the loud speaker blared that Alfredsson was in the starting line-up, a cheer went through the building.  When there was a special tribute to him, the building erupted into a lengthy standing ovation.  After all, he was their hero.

But thereafter, every time he touched the puck during the game, he was heartily booed.  It was so weird, seeing people wearing Sens jerseys with his name and number emblazoned across the back who were booing him.  I guess there will be a booming business in Sens Jerseys this year, as everyone retires their replica Alfie ones in favour of a new hero, likely Karlsson.  I was also struck by the two high-priced  luxury boxes filled with Swedes, waving their flags with great pride at Ottawa, yet booing Detroit.  Sure, Ottawa has three prominent (okay, used to be four) Swedes in its organization, but shit!  Detroit has 9 in its current roster, and a helluva lot more in development thanks to its recent tradition and taste for drafting from Swede.  Like, really? 

I just don't get "fans" sometimes.

Anyway, I was on edge all throughout the game; it wasn't until Detroit scored the first goal of the game that I relaxed a little.  And like a good little fan, I didn't boo Ottawa, I just spent my time cheering Detroit.

The Wings won 4-2, with Alfie scoring an empty-netter to seal the deal in the dying minutes. 

Welcome back, Alfie...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment