Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Monday, December 9, 2013

December 9/13

HOLY CRAP WHAT A NIGHT!

We were up too early this morning because we both have Project Management training at Ottawa U this week.  This means we were downtown instead of at work, and at lunch, I had commented to Etienne that we had to avoid the Apple store because of the temptation to buy an iPad.  And how, given that I am always so broke, would this be possible?  Well, my band's yearly annuity payment was deposited in my account on Friday, and it was quite a bit larger than I expected.  Knowing that I was likely facing a stiff tax bill from the reassessment mess of last month, I knew I had to set aside most of that windfall to pay off the debt.

After class was over, Etienne was very excited, and asked if I wanted my xmas present now.  I already let him give me my Birfday present early, so I decided, 'what the hell, might as well.'  After all, he really was so excited.  Well, he steered me right into the Apple store, right to the iPads tables!  Da-amn!  I got an iPad!  In return, I steered Etienne over to Trust Fund and bought him one of his presents early...A Matt and Nat briefcase that he's had his eye on for months now.  I already had planned to withhold some of the Mikisew money for xmas, so it wasn't like I was ruining myself.

When we got back to the building, I went for the mail, and it was all for me.  I recognized instantly the envelope from Canada Revenue Agency, and gave a sigh, but there was also a piece of mail from the province of Ontario for me, and I thought, 'what now?!?'  I mean, this can't be good news.

I went upstairs, and after shedding my winter layer, I went first for the Ontario letter.  It turned out to be the Cancer screening agency for the province letting me know that they are now tracking me, and will start sending me letters to notify me when to do my cancer screenings.  Oh hell, welcome to 35, I guess.  As my Gramma had breast cancer, I guess I'm in line for earlier screenings than many women.

Anyway, I was still ebullient from the iPad, so this didn't dampen my spirit.  I decided to just get it over with, open the CRA letter, and hope for the best.  I knew the error was in the magnitude of almost $900, so who knew what that could mean to my reassessed return.

I couldn't believe my eyes.

$112.

Holy fuck!! 

Did I read that right?

Did I just luck right the fuck out and get an iPad and a tiny tax bill?

It turns out, yes.  Yes, I had.

I needed this break.  When it comes to money, 2013 has not been as kind as I would have hoped.

Yay Me!

...Wish you were here.










No comments:

Post a Comment