Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Thursday, December 12, 2013

December 12/13

I have this prickly personality flaw that I am conscious of, but I'm torn about whether I can or should do anything to ameliorate it...I hate being told what to do when it involves something I don't want to do.  It's a problem only when I can't see the point of doing (or in some cases, not doing) something; otherwise, I'm generally cooperative.

For instance, during the holiday season, I find that my response to holiday celebrations entirely depends on my enthusiasm for the activity and/or the likely level of fun the activity will achieve.  When I have no interest, or I suspect the activity will be lame, I become a pain in the ass.  And I don't respond well to suggestionsfalse hopes that it will be fun and morale-boosting.  I was a cheerleader...and I'm the absolute worst at buying into the rah-rah-sis-boom-bah someone tries to sell me.

In other words, I'm a crank.  A Curmudgeon.  A Scrooge, if you will.

So I was relieve today to find out that I'm not alone.  Yesterday's New York Times featured an Op-Ed which I didn't see until today.  It's about how it's actually a morale-killer for some people when they are (okay, I am) forced to take part in activities to "make work fun."  Not because people like me don't want work to be fun, persay, but rather because I often find my sense of fun incompatible with others around me...particularly those who sit on social committees and plan "fun" activities.

I'm grumpy because I recently had to sit through an event that tried to make everything fun, but I spent most of the time rolling my eyes at bad attempts at jokes.  And I am not looking forward to the holiday party at work because it's a potluck that will happen during work hours.  I don't cook or bake, so potlucks are generally a pain in the ass for me.  Okay, if I'm honest, I hate potlucks.  I'd rather pay for a ticket to an event where there is socializing, some beverages, music, and if need be, a non-required activity for people who like that kind of thing.  I remember the private sector parties, where people come together after hours and have dinners, and people make an effort to look festive/nice.  Standing in a boardroom with a plate of tapas while wearing my work badge and listening to work chit-chat is not my idea of fun during the holiday season.

When I'm basically forced to have "fun" I'm afraid my eyeballs will roll right out of my head, and I will die of utter sarcasm.

But thanks to the editors at the New York Times, I know I am not alone, particularly during this holiday season.

Solidarity...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment