Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Thursday, July 4, 2013

July 4/13

We'll start with the pleasantries...if I have any American readers, I hope you've had a nice Independence Day.  Also, it's Ottawa Bluesfest for the next 10 days, so I apologize if many of the posts over that time are about musical acts or the festival experience, and you have no interest.

Tonight, it finally happened.

On my third try, I was finally, finally successful in seeing The Black Keys in concert.  They came to Bluesfest back in 2011, and we were ready to go, but before the show could begin, a thunderstorm blew in and after waiting more than an hour for it to be safe enough to go on (lightning and electrical concerns), we left, drenched, cold and tired.  They went on about 10 minutes after we left.  Then they embarked on a tour last year, and while Etienne went on an odyssey down to Cleveland with the boys for the BK show there, I wasn't able to get tickets to any of their Canadian shows, no matter where they were playing. 

When I saw they were coming back to Bluesfest this year, I decided come hell or high water, this was happening, and I wasn't let down.

Unfortunately, Lebreton Flats isn't the ideal ground for staging an outdoor show because the ground is indeed flat, there is no inclination to help the less tall among the crowd.  We staked out an okay spot in the middle, but then five self-absorbed teens butted in front of us, all but one taller than me, and the one shorter than me had enough hair to obstruct my view.  So I spent most of the concert hearing the show, but not seeing it.  Next time I do this properly...in an actual concert venue and sharp elbows to get at anyone who tries to butt in.

The other minor downside to tonight was that The Cat Empire was also playing in the time slot before the BK, but they were on a stage that required a hike away from the main festival grounds, so as much as I wanted to stay and watch their full show, we had to leave pretty early to walk over and stake out a decent spot for the BK show.  It's too bad because I really enjoy The Cat Empire.  They do a great blend of musical genres that always have you tapping your toe unless you are the grumpiest bastard ever.

It's a halfway decent line-up for this year's Bluesfest, so here's to hoping for more nights of good shows from great bands!

Bluesfest...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment