Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

July 3/13

It's a bit of a running joke/established fact that people won't sit next to me on the bus.  For years in Edmonton, it would be the case that when the bus was packed to standing room only, the seat beside me would be empty.  I don't understand why...I smelled pleasant, I wasn't dangerous or scary-looking, and in fact, I was usually quite absorbed in my own thoughts, so I had no way of putting out "stay away" signals.

I thought when I moved to Vancouver that it would change, but that wasn't necessarily the case.  People would sit next to me more frequently, but still, often there was an empty seat beside me.  I noted that when someone did sit beside me, they would get up and move at their earliest convenience.  Maybe I was looking too aloof?  Does that make strangers on a bus uncomfortable?

When I moved to Ottawa, things again changed...the buses here sort of operate under the laws of the jungle...it's push, bump, screen, speed...whatever gets you (and your companion, if you have one) the most optimal position on the bus.  The thing is, I've rarely had to worry about the seat beside me because it was either filled with Etienne's cute little tush, or the bus wasn't filled to standing-room capacity, so it's not like I  can discern the same pattern here as I did in Edmonton or Vancouver.

But today, I had to leave work early for an appointment, and there was no Etienne to accompany me.  After the appointment, I walked down to Bay station to catch a bus to the mall.  One came, and I got on and selected a seat.  A guy followed and sat down beside me in the only empty seat in the back section of the bus, then promptly stood up and moved...to stand.  What the hell...?  I know I didn't stink!  I wasn't taking up too much space on the bench!  My expression was pretty neutral!  Why?!?!  I don't get it!

I really appreciate that there's usually an Etienne to sit beside me on the bus...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment