Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

July 23/13

Oh boy.  You'd think I would be used to it.

Quick geography refresher:

Yellowknife = Northwest Territories.
Whitehorse = Yukon Territory.
Yellowknife ≠ Yukon Territory.
Yellowknife ≠ Whitehorse.

At the same time as a woman I follow on Twitter was lamenting that people she was visiting down south asked her how she liked living in Whitehorse (she lives in Yellowknife, and I only wish I was exaggerating about the timing), a colleague on my new team at work was asking me if I couldn't just drive down to BC while I'm visiting Yellowknife, since it's right there.  I truly did my best not to come off as a snotty bitch as I informed him that was Whitehorse...I'm not sure I succeeded.

Not everyone is good at geography.  I know.  But this stuff is practically beaten into our childish minds in grade 3.  We can all remember the constant drilling until everyone in class could repeat the capital cities for each  of the 12 (now 13) provinces and territories, and point out each place on the blank maps handed out to us.  I guess when it comes to the North, things get a little slack in the memorization department.

There are already some hiccups in the relationship with this colleague, and I am working on ways to manage these issues to ensure a smoother working relationship for the team, but christ almighty, throw me a frickin' bone here, dude! 

Count to 13, Fancy...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment