Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Sunday, July 28, 2013

July 28/13

The new apartment doesn't have a storage locker on the premises, so we are now faced with the large task of de-cluttering.  Today, I made up my mind to tackle the office closet, which serves as a storage closet for us presently.  My goal was to reduce its contents by about 1/3. 

There were some puzzling items among the clutter which were noteworthy:

For some reason, my mother sent me our baby shoes.  If they were just my baby shoes, that would be one thing, but they weren't.  Safely wrapped in a plastic bag were a pair of my shoes, a pair of Karyne's shoes, and a pair of Daryl's shoes.  I'm not sure what I was supposed to do with those, but I can't get rid of them, so back into the memory box they will go.

As I was pulling my high school grad photo out of a frame that belonged to my Gramma, I was thoroughly surprised to find a studio portrait of one of my aunts and two of her daughters.  I guess when my thrifty Gramma received the picture, she had just put it in the frame and left the other photo there.  We didn't know this when we took it from Gramma's apartment after she died.

Noticeably missing from the closet was my set of dishes that I thought were in there.  When Etienne and I moved in together, we had many items of overlap, and we decided to use his dishes because they were nicer.  But at the time, I wanted to keep my set of dishes up in the closet instead of down in the basement storage locker in case we had a lot of guests and needed extra dishes.  I guess as the move proceeds, I'll find them, unless I donated them at some point and totally forgot.

By the time I put everything back into the closet (round two will happen another day), I had come pretty close to my goal.  We ended up with two full black garbage bags of stuff to sell or donate, several pictures, and an enormous pile of recycling.  And that was just from the stuff that I managed to go through.  There are a couple of boxes that I need to get to, but otherwise, I've done a good first cull.

A walk down memory lane...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment