Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Monday, May 6, 2013

May 6/13

Inconclusive.  Again.

Mere weeks before I was moving to Ottawa, I was sent for pulmonary function testing because the allergist was checking for asthma.  At the time, the results were inconclusive, which meant that I would need to follow up with a methacholine test, but they couldn't schedule an appointment before I left Vancouver, so the investigation ended there.  It had to, as I didn't have a doctor here in Ottawa for the first couple of years, and this isn't something you want to be doing through a walk-in clinic.  However, the suspected asthma has reared its ugly head again, and it's no surprise as I'm plagued with allergies and live in a valley where the air doesn't move much.  I went to see my doctor about it, and he got me an appointment for testing, which I attended today.

I spent nearly an hour variously forcing air through a mouthpiece, panting, and inhaling deep.  No wonder I was starting to feel like I was hyperventilating...I *was* hyperventilating.  And by the time it was all said and done, there was a 7% variation between my normal patterns and post-ventolin patterns.  Inconclusive.

Again.

This time, I have a firm date for the next test, the methacholine challenge, and I'll finally know one way or the other.

Stronger lungs...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment