Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Saturday, May 18, 2013

May 18/13

There are just certain genres of music that lend themselves so perfectly to records, it seems a little traitorous when I buy them on CD or accept them in electronic format.  Jazz, Blues, Motown...these just feel *right* in vinyl.  But I can only think of a handful of rock albums I consider it an obligation--nay, mandatory to buy on vinyl.  Among that handful is Bat Out Of Hell by Meat Loaf.  It's an epic album, and it deserves the vinyl treatment.

But if you've only just started collecting vinyl in recent years, you'll know it's near impossible to find at most local record stores, even for a "big" city like Ottawa.  If you find a used copy, good luck with it's being in good condition. 

Who's got a new Bat album?  This girl!  Right here!

Prior to the sickly drive back from Montreal on Monday, we went to a record store called Aux 33 Tours on Mont Royal.  With all due respect to the couple of record stores we frequent in Ottawa, this store absolutely blows away the competition.  Our stores in Ottawa range from crappy, like CD Warehouse, to good, like Vertigo and Compact, but this place is excellent.  And after repeated failures to get my hands on Bat I had given up hope, and was preparing to turn my money over to the very corporate Amazon.ca, but I've been rescued from doing that by this awesome, large, clean, bright independent little store specializing in Japanese pressings.

Tonight, we put Bat on, and it was bloody brilliant.  Epic.  Worth the build up.

Paradise by the Dashboard Light...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment