Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Saturday, May 11, 2013

May 11/13

Today's moment was going to be the experience of a Montreal Impact game, but I'm sorry, I was just truly fascinated by something totally cliche, and yet something I've never seen actually happen.

The Hotel Bar Pick-up.

You know in Hollywood, how movies and TV shows will play out the cliche scene of a hotel bar pick up?  It's mood lighting, there's a jazz band, or some mood music, and someone will sidle up to the bar, order and drink, and almost seem to wait for someone else to sidle up beside them, make small talk, and see how it goes...

Damn if I didn't watch that happen beside me.

Etienne and Laurent went downstairs to the hotel bar to grab a drink before supper, and I joined them after it took some time to make myself presentable.  They chattered away in French, while I sat and observed, occasionally joining in or answering a question.  I noticed an older gentleman, dressed in a suit, but no tie, having a drink and eating.  He looked lonely.  I noticed a several tables, mostly occupied by businessmen, enjoying drinks and laughing.

At some point, a couple of women came in, dressed up to go out, and they opted to sit at the bar, just a seat down from where I was.  I didn't notice them at first.  Then I was vaguely aware of their presence.  But they had my full attention when I suddenly noticed that a middle-aged blonde guy in a suit sidled up beside the busty brunette, while his balding, bearded friend slipped into the seat beside me to try his best with the bottled blonde.  What the what?  This shit actually happens?

We left before I could ascertain the possibilities of one or both successfully picking up the ladies, but I sure would have liked the chance to sit back in a corner and observe this cliche intrude into the real world.  Of even more interest to me?  The lonely man.  He was a couple of seats down, and I wanted to watch him, see how he observed this.  He looked like he's spent some time in hotel bars.  Was the loneliness because he missed someone?  Was he jealous that he could not do what the younger men did?  Was he scared to even try?

Everyone has a story...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment