Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May 1/13

Three years ago today, on a partly cloudy Saturday morning, I moved into a small one bedroom studio apartment in the basement of a building.  My first ever solo-living experience.  That morning, I got up, checked out of my hotel, got into my oversized U-Haul rental, and drove seven blocks to meet my friend Jeff's then-girlfriend (now wife) at Jeff's new apartment.  When I left Vancouver, I brought his stuff with me, and in return, she graciously offered to help me move my stuff into my apartment.  We got almost everything into my place before Etienne and Brent showed up, but we conspired to leave the heavier, more awkward stuff for the menfolk.  Alexis left, the guys duly unloaded the big stuff, we returned the truck to the U-Haul depot, and headed out for lunch and beer, on me.

I had no way of knowing on that day that Etienne had made up his mind to enter into a relationship with me, and it took another couple of weeks for that to become clear, but after lunch, instead of going off with Brent, he came back to my place to help me unpack.  It was something of an audition, now that I think back on it.  As he unpacked my stuff, he was watching my life unfold before him: the books I read, the music I listened to, the movies I enjoyed, and the keepsakes I kept.  I'd hate to think that his opinion of me rose and declined based on the varied collections he unpacked; I own the three-volume bound collection of the Letters of Vincent and Theo Van Gogh, but I also own a paperback book titled Sexual Astrology.  Who knows what he thought he was getting into.

Love it or hate it, three years on from that day, he's accepted that a lot of strange, silly or bad books, movies, music, etc. has become part of his landscape.

Three-years-ago Fancy...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment