Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Thursday, December 6, 2012

December 6/12

I'll admit, I'm not the easiest employee to manage on occasion.  Unfortunately today was just such an occasion.

We have to do these ridiculous performance and learning agreements at work, which are not structured very well, and so are a real pain in the ass task that just gets in the way of me doing actual work.  In the past, under my former manager, this task was still unpleasant, but she was good at managing me through it, and we were both okay with the final product.

This year, I have a new manager, and she and I do not have the easiest working relationship.  I've gone from enjoying a rather high level of trust under my former manager to being managed in a way that makes me feel as though I'm being marginalized, and my experience and expertise challenged.  These circumstances are not lending themselves to an easy outcome on this performance and learning agreement situation, and unfortunately, when this kind of tense meeting occurs, the result is my mood goes to shit for the rest of the day.  If it wasn't for the holiday party that followed this meeting, I would be an unbearable bitch right now. 

I'm making an effort to be productive and helpful, and so far it's paying off by way of a better working relationship with my new director than I anticipated.  Recently, I really questioned the value and purpose of a proposed projects, but if it must go forward, I hope I put forward constructive critiques and suggestions for making it a stronger product.  This director is willing to work with me in a way that we're both comfortable with.  So I swear, I am trying!  I'm not always successful, but hey, Rome wasn't built in a day.

More patience...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment