Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Saturday, December 15, 2012

December 15/12

I hate it when I lose my day to a migraine.

All of my mother's kids are migraine sufferers, but my brother and I don't even come close to the migraines that plague our sister.  She has frequent and very painful migraines since she was three years old.  Growing up in our house, we learned not to make a big deal out of things like holidays and stuff because stress could trigger an episode.  I remember when I was barely in my teens, my sister took me aside at home one time, and showed me an injector, and taught me how to inject her with a therapy she was trying, just in case our mother wasn't home to do it.  To this day, she could end up in the emergency room at any time to have the symptoms treated, and she's on a regime of pharmaceuticals, as well as having taken part in experimental therapies throughout her life.

My oldest brother and I managed for most of our lives to go without, but when I was about 19, I started experiencing them.  Around the same time, he and I talked about our symptoms, and we arrived at the conclusion that we were occasional migraine sufferers.  His are more frequent than mine, but not as frequent as our sister's, and not as painful, given that she suffers the worst of us all. 

Yup.  Today I woke up with a migraine.  This one took several hours to subside, but with ibuprofen and ice and heat and voltarin and tiger balm and rest, I finally won, but I lost my whole morning and a big chunk of my afternoon. 

A cure for migraines...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment