Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Thursday, December 20, 2012

December 20/12

Gawd, this is one of those weeks when something big is happening at the end of it, and it just seems like the anticipation is completely slowing the drag of linear time to a crawl.  I hate when that happens.  When you are waiting for something, time just drags on and seems to stop all together, but when you need more time for something, suddenly there is never enough. 

It's been a long and draining month and a half, and with the exception of a half-day on Monday, I am looking at near total rest and relaxation starting Friday evening, all the way through to the evil morning of January 2nd.

Last year, I couldn't take any time off due to an HR hiccup with my vacation and sick time, so being one of the few corporeal bodies left in the building over the holidays meant I got assigned to a particularly gruesome, nasty file that literally drove me to contemplate running away and creating a new identity in order to never have to come back to work again.  We got through the very, very worst of it (dark days, my friends...literally...I left work at 9:30 pm a few times) by March, but I swore to myself and to anyone who listened that I would not be in the building for the holidays this year, so as to avoid any possibility of a scenario where a file comes along and 'hey, it's quiet, so it's a good time to start this awful thing!" cropping up again. 

I kept my promise, and my vacation leave was approved, so of course all I have to do is get through tomorrow (big things happening, stay tuned) and Monday morning, and I'll be free!

Dark days (literally)...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment