Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Sunday, December 2, 2012

December 2/12

Today is my dad's 65th birfday (it's official...he's a senior citizen!), and one thing that has usually meant in my house growing up was it was the day to haul out the xmas tree and decorate.  I'm not sure when that's happened, but it became something of a tradition for a while.

Unfortunately, I spent many xmases in the service of the retail sector, and it's been policy everywhere I've worked that come store opening on November 12th, up go the decorations and on go the endless, maddening xmas carols on repeat.  In an 8 hour shift, you could hear 6 or so versions of Jingle Bells, or the same version 6 times.  That, plus some of the most obnoxious behaviour from customers is enough to make one really reconsider the value of xmas, or in some cases, even despise the damn holiday.  I think you can guess how it turned out for me.

I've been working on accepting xmas cheer since I've escaped the retail sector, but in truth, I don't think I'll ever reach the point of enjoyment that I had when I was young and innocent and retail-free. 

My box of xmas stuff is down in the basement, just waiting for me to pick it up and get things going.  But I suppose I'm having trouble with getting into the spirit this year, with my financial woes and battling a worse-than-normal bout of seasonal depression this year.

The Spirit of the Holidays...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment