Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Thursday, November 29, 2012

November 29/12

There was a moment this evening, on the bus, when I found that I was totally anonymous. 

I wear sunglasses, yes, even in the dark, because I have a dry eye condition, and they help shield my eyes from the cold air.  I will frequently been seen wearing them at work, on the bus, in malls, cars (under the safest conditions), and while I have gotten curious looks in the past for wearing sunglasses at night indoors before, it's not often that they somehow act as an invisible shield, rendering me outside of the vision of most everyone around me.

It was all at once safe and familiar, and disheartening and spooky.  Safe and familiar because I miss being able to disappear into a faceless crowd and not run across a person I've ever seen before, as I did in big cities; disheartening because it means I've become wallpaper in the eyes of so many strangers, allowing for anything to happen to me with little notice.

You'd think a young woman in sunglasses on a bus in the dark, cold evening would draw a raised eyebrow at least.

Disappearing act...

...Wish you were here.


No comments:

Post a Comment