Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Saturday, November 17, 2012

November 12/12

Seeing Leonard Cohen live in concert has fulfilled a life goal.  The Master of Words puts on a sublime show.  At 78, he hopped, he skipped, he took a knee so many times, and he sang with heart and soul.  And he did it for three and a half hours.  I've been to concerts that have lasted that long, but where an opening act had at least an hour of that time.

Leonard opened with 'Dance Me to the End of Love' which touched Etienne greatly, and by the end of his third encore, he ended with 'Closing Time.'  In between, he crooned his way through many of his best known and best loved songs, and the blend was new and old.  In between songs, he would freely quote some of his poems, including the brilliant and wicked 'A Thousand Kisses Deep.'

And where was I during all of this?  Thoroughly delighted.  At some points, during songs that have particular meaning or resonance for me, I was sitting there, entranced.  I've enjoyed so many concerts in the past, but none have ever touched me the way only Leonard Cohen can.  I hope every music lover has the chance to be so touched by a concert experience.

Overwhelming joy...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment