Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Saturday, June 1, 2013

June 1/13

So, I have this blue cotton dress...it's long, and the fabric is ink-dyed, with a white pattern near the hem.  It's the kind of dress you find through fair-trade, organic, free-spirited vendors who drag their wares from outdoor festival to outdoor festival.  In this case, I bought this dress at a vendor at Lilith Fair in 1997.  It's lightweight, it breathes well, and it covered the stubble on my legs when I'm too lazy to shave, or it's the day before I shave.  You know...it's comfortable and casual and totally unpretentious.

I decided to wear this dress today because of the humid weather (it breathes well), and because I don't shave my legs until Sundays (is that too much information?).  To cover up the bra straps, I've been known to wear a white t-shirt under the dress, which I did today.  Very comfortable outfit.  Very low-maintenance.  And apparently, very age-reducing.

For the record, I'm 34 years old, and while I have never looked my age, I'm starting to show signs of being in the neighbourhood of my 30s.  It's been quite some time since I last recall being ID'ed...maybe last year?

Anyway, Etienne and I hit the grocery store for some essentials, and then tripped next door to the liquor store, also for some essentials.  He took his gluten-free beer and a couple of ciders, while I selected a bottle of red wine.  We approached the cash, and Etienne decided to just pay for everything in one shot, so I handed him the bottle.  I wasn't even paying attention really, but quite unexpectedly, the cashier said, "Can I see you ID, miss?" 

It took a second or two to realize he was talking to me.  Etienne also seemed caught off guard, and we both just looked at each other before I started to dig into my purse for my wallet.  Then the cashier looked at Etienne and tells him "Oh, no, you look old."  We had no idea how to respond to that comment...here was my partner, 4 years younger than me, being told he looks old (I think the cashier meant to say old enough), while I, a woman well into my 30's, was being carded.  We're both fairly certain that I'm older than the cashier.

The whole exchange took less than a minute, and I was just laughing it off, until I really thought about it...last time I was ID'ed, I was wearing that dress on that occasion too.  Come to think of it...whenever I wear that dress and need to purchase liquor, I get ID'ed.  The magic hippie dress...it has the power to take up to 15 years off my appearance.

I should wear it every day...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment