Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Sunday, June 16, 2013

June 16/13

Happy Father's Day to all the awesome dads I know!

My own got his customary phone call...I tried to time it to miss the end of the US Open and still catch him if he was on his way to work, but I committed the cardinal sin of calling as the Open was being decided between Phil and Justin, and hey, Dad isn't working tonight.  Damn.  #Fail.  It doesn't matter, he loves hearing from his brats, right?

It's a good thing we have a close relationship and I can get away with such interruptions, because if you had asked me if that would be the case when I was 16, I would have looked at you like you'd asked me if it was probable that the ocean was orange.  At that time, Dad and I were barely on speaking terms for a few months.  It wasn't that we were angry with each other or anything; we just couldn't relate on anything.  By that time, I was well into my drama and music days, and had virtually abandoned sports (does cheerleading count as a sport yet?), so what was a sports-oriented man and his 16 year old artsy daughter supposed to bond over?  Anyone?

It took several years for us to re-establish a working father-daughter relationship, but through it all, I don't think either of us ever lost sight of the fact that no matter what, I was still his baby girl.

Here's to you, Daddy...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment