Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Saturday, June 29, 2013

June 29/13

Fuck, I really need a housecleaner.

It's the Saturday of the Canada Day long weekend, and today, I should be relaxing outside or doing something like sipping sangria on a patio, but I'm not.  I'm inside cleaning my house.  With a painter's mask to help mitigate the fumes of cleaning products which inflame my airways.

We're stuck cleaning house because on Thursday, I was "informed" that people were coming to my house on Sunday by former colleague of Etienne's in a passing conversation in the hallway at work.  Uhh...?

I have no problem with people coming over, in fact I think it needs to happen more because we do have that awesome deck out back which could serve as a cool hang-out.  But that means having to keep our house in a better state of readiness to receive guests, and that requires a level of cleanliness that we are both committed to, but can't seem to sustain on our own (Translation: we suck at keeping clean).

I always told myself that when I could afford it, I would bring in a cleaner once a week or maybe twice a month, just to keep the place from becoming gruesome, but my present financial situation has my hands tied there.  I am earning an envious salary for some, but I'm also enslaved to a large pile of student debts.  By the time taxes and benefits are accounted for, I net enough to pay my rent and bills, put nearly $1,000 a month into debt payments, and have a meagre sum left over to live on between pay cheques.  There's just no room yet for a cleaner.

And so instead, I take beautiful days like this one out of my fun rotation in order to clean. 

A cleaner...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment