Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

February 26/13

So, by now, I think you know that I have a very-public love affair with zombies.  I love the new generation of zombie-apocalypse movies, like Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, and most recently, Warm Bodies; I do own The Zombie Survival Guide, a children's book called Ten Little Zombies, and an academic essay collection on zombies called Brrraaaiiinnnsss: From Academics to Zombies; my cubicle at work does have a Zombie Caution poster, and a framed picture of a zombiefied Steve Yzerman; yes...I like zombies.  Very much.

It's largely due to the fact that the recent pop culture take on zombies has been to combine the gruesome horror of a zombie apocalypse with sharp, witty, even tender commentary that hasn't previously been explored (e.g. consider that zombies may have some small capacity to love).  I love good satire.

So, you might be wondering how it is that I haven't yet sat myself down and watched AMC's The Walking Dead.  After all, is it not zombies for TV?  Well, wonder no more.  I did.  Tonight, I took some time (before New Girl came on at 9 pm), tested Netflix on the new Blu-ray reader in the bedroom, and watched the series premier. 

Man, that shit is intense.  But I'm unsure about proceeding, because it's a drama.  I might be wrong, but it just seems like it's going to be all desperation, fighting-for-survival, against-all-odds, conspiracy-laden, more-drama-than-a-missing-falsey-in-a-prima-donna-drag-queen's-dressing-room, Capital D Drama. 

I don't know.  But I'm open to suggestion...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment