Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Saturday, February 23, 2013

February 23/13

It doesn't happen often, but once in a very long while, I do get the desire to brush up my pipes and sing in public again.  The rub of it is that my voice is the kind that is designed for choral, classical, or show singing.  I'm a soprano with a higher range, but I was never much of a belter, which is the popular music these days; the public today has a strong preference for mezzo sopranos and altos. 

I blame this episode on My Fair Lady.  Any soprano worth her salt has taken a run at those songs, and who hasn't had visions of being Eliza Doolittle as she dreamily croons her way through a bedtime routine in I Could Have Danced All Night.  I know I have.

But alas, my performing days are long behind me.  I was aiming for a career in the theatre when I left high school, but a traumatic event saddled me with a fear of being seen.  I had already hated being photographed, so that ruled out a career in film and television, but I clung to the hope of a stage career prior to that fateful night.  I'd like to think I would have done alright.  Not a star, but happy in my choice.

Eliza Doolittle...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment