Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Friday, August 9, 2013

August 9/13

Our plans for the day included a stop at the museum and the galleries.  Our plans for the day did not include hangovers.  Etienne and S. were moving a little slowly today, and as a result, we pushed off our plans until tomorrow.  Today, it was all about just hanging around the house.  And the trampoline.  I don't know when it happened exactly, but it seems like every house in the neighbourhood now has a trampoline.

It was agreed last night that we would go to the Friends' place again tonight, this time for dinner and drinks.  The food was delicious, and the company was very hospitable, but it struck me as weird that I was sitting in the dining room of my Social Studies teacher as she prepare and serve food and drink to me.  I don't think many people start partying with their high school teachers, but hey, this is the North.  It's not the first time I've gotten drunk with any of my former teachers, it won't be the last.

Anyway, after supper, the drinks continued, and the conversation...well, that was something else!  We hadn't expected to be talking shop on vacation, but I guess when you are in our line of work, and you are in the company of educated people with varying points of view, anything is possible.  At one point, there was a raging discussion about policy and law that was on the verge of becoming quite heated, and as it was related to files held by the department Etienne and I work for, I knew I had to put a stop to it.  We can discuss broad, general, public information and answer questions about said topics, but the discussion was starting to track into territory that Etienne and I have specific knowledge about, so the only thing I could do was state plainly that we could not discuss the topic any further.

Well, that turned out to pretty well stop the night.  Baby K. was suffering another migraine, so she and I headed home, leaving S. and Etienne to find the bottom of a bottle and safely make their way back :)

These aren't the good old days...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment