Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Sunday, August 25, 2013

August 25/13

Late this afternoon, after I returned the rental car, I walked over to Bank station on the Transit way to catch a bus home, and as I walked, I overtook a mother and her son, who was maybe 8 or 9 years old.  As I passed, I overheard her tell him that next time he wants to give a homeless person some money, a dollar is too much.  She told him to give a quarter.  Maybe 50 cents.

And my heart sank.

On the one hand, she is doing right by her son and teaching him that the homeless are people too, not to be ignored as if they didn't exist, but on the other hand, I'm so sorry to hear her instill in this boy that a dollar is too much.

A dollar is not too much...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment