Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Sunday, August 11, 2013

August 11/13

Hey, Yellowknifers?  If you were down at the Yellowknife River bridge this evening around 4 or so, can you tell me...did Winston finally jump?  Is he still there?

It was so prescribed by myself and Karyne that today was the day we'd do a family hike out at Cameron Falls, a place I haven't been since I was just a bit older than Brady.  I wasn't sure how Etienne would handle the hike.  On the one hand, it's comparatively quite short (maybe 30-45 minutes, depending on pacing), but it's a rigorous little climb, on a hot day.

We headed out to get snacks, and once everyone was dressed and ready, we all climbed into the truck (including very big Dog), and we hit the road.  Shit.  I forgot how shitty that highway is, especially around Giant Mine.  As we bounced along, I wondered what the hell we were doing as idiot teenagers speeding along some of those curves and potholes.  As we passed the Pit, where more than a few parties in the bush took place, I concluded at the time we were invincible just plain dumb.

It's about an hour-long drive out to Hidden Lake, and that's hard enough being crammed into the back seat of the truck without that magnificent dog not being able to sit still :D  But he looked so forlorn, we couldn't just leave him at home.  By the time we arrived, Dog was in full excitement mode.

We hiked in and arrived in good time, and settled in at the lookout for some snacks, along with a couple dozen other people.  Since the territorial government made some changes to legitimize the trail, it's quite a popular little spot.  The falls were quite pretty; Cameron Falls is not the biggest or most spectacular waterfall in the NWT, but it's no slouch.  We crossed over to the other side and did the obligatory photo ops, and then we turned around and headed back.  We had to.  We were on a mission.

Back in the truck, heading toward town, but first we had a stop to make...to jump off the Yellowknife River bridge.

S. and the boys are no stranger to this activity, but I haven't done it since I was a teen, and Etienne, well..."Will he? Won't he?"  We knew Baby K. was out, as she's not comfortable with heights, and she got goaded into doing it once this summer, and I think once is enough to last her a lifetime.  Etienne is also not comfortable with stunts like this, so I told him not to feel pressure to do it.

We pulled up and parked in the park's lot, and while the boys all went to change, I got to see what was the laugh of the day.  This poor boy, maybe 11 or so, with a cast on his wrist, standing on the outside of the railing, just absolutely playing the drama to the maximum.  He wanted to jump, but likely had psyched himself up too much, and was now experiencing the fear of the jump combined with the performer's high of commanding a large audience of buzzed adults and their children.  In the half-hour or so that we were there, Winston played his role.  "I'm going to do it!  Don't pressure me!  I'm scared!  Will you jump with me?  I'm going to die!"

In that time, I had time to jump and change.  S. had time to jump two or three times, as did each of the boys.  Still no Winston.

Etienne jumped.  (for the only time in his life, I'm sure)

Still no Winston.

We all toweled off, and the boys all went to change.

Still no Winston.

We left, and as we crossed over the bridge, we honked and yelled at him to jump. 

Still no Winston.

I hoped that kid finally jumped...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment